Tuesday, September 13, 2016

VHC Introduction Time.


 Well this is us.....


 Bec and Miss E.



We have been homeschooling for 8 weeks, this time. I homeschooled all three of my children from Aug 2008 to Feb 2013, when they all went back (in Miss E's case for the first time) to school. Now the eldest is in her first year at Uni, my one and only boy is about to start his final year at the local High School, unless he finds a job, and then there is Miss E.

Miss E is 11 and in grade 5. She has now experienced what mainstream school is like and obviously nothing like what she saw on the "Full House" so has come home. To be fair she has been asking for the last 12 months, but we kept putting it off as I didn't want to be yo-yoing between homeschool and school. So I wanted to make sure she was certain.

I should look into making a mission statement, at the moment it seems like we are just winging our way through, trying to find what works for us. I do want Miss E to rekindle her love of learning and once that takes place it will be fun to see where it takes us.

Our approach is very and I mean VERY eclectic. I am using CLE for maths. Have just started LATL for english. Before we were using another spelling program and doing a lapbook from Hands of a child. The history book has been lost, so now we are visiting local areas and reading and notebooking. Miss E at the moment wants to become a lawyer, so we are looking at how the law system begun in Australia and how it works. So as the mood grabs us and interests grow we will find the resources we need I'm sure. Actually I'm quite sure that when looking at the others that join in with the VHC I shall see something and go "Hey that could be fun" "That's a great idea"

We live on a farm, but don't do the farming. We just rent the view. We are in New South Wales on the east coast of Australia about 1 hour from the Victorian Boarder. How I long to be back in Victoria where their registration is so much simpler. But being in NSW is ok, at least I get some sort of planning done for the registration process. As you can see its very wet at the moment. We have had higher than average rains of late. That water is normally all crop. But I'm enjoying the water frontage at the moment. We are coming into summer soon enough and it will be hot and dry again.



Last time I homeschooled,  blogging was a way of recording what we had done, and no doubt it will form a part of that again. It was also a way of looking into others homes to see what worked and what didn't. I'm grateful that a friend told me about the VHC, as now I wont have to do so many google searches. I can just go and look at all the link ups and hopefully make new friends along the way that understand the joys and trials of homeschooling.
 


This response  is my part of the Virtual Homeschool Coop Channel Collaboration. You can find out more at  http://virtualhomeschoolcoop.com/ The goal of the Virtual Homeschool Coop is to build the homeschool community of knowledge with collaborations to give voice to all experiences in homeschooling.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, welcome and glad you joined. I think there are a couple in the VHC from Australia. I know one is a Youtuber but cannot recall her channel name. :( Anyhoo-looking forward to learning more about your hsing and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched her video...she is the Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri, I know the Paper Maid, thats who told me about the VHC.

      Delete